8.25.2011

Story behind my Kleinfeld's purchase.

My sisters and I took a simple trip to New York for the weekend thinking it would be fun to go shopping on Canal Street since its in our price range.
So we hit up shopping, went to the Top of the Rock (I think DJ would appreciate the sign before entering...)
walked down Broadway, caught a show to Mary Poppins, and walked around Time Square.
...but then Sachi suggested we go to Kleinfeld's--where they film the TLC show "Say Yes To The Dress"

We only went hoping we'd see Randy or any of the other crazy employees there. We got there and immediately thought, we should try on some dresses! So we made an appointment for the next day, 5 hours before our flight back to SLC. 

I told the sales lady that I wanted something NOT POOFY. That was the only thing I did not want in my dress. I tried on my first dress--it was what I was kind of imagining and thought, meh. Its okay. NEXT. 

While we were getting the second dress on I kept thinking, holy cow am I really doing this?! Mind you, I wasn't even ENGAGED! So I had NO intention of buying one. We were just so giddy about being there and just wanted to say we tried on dresses there...but then I tried on the second...GASP!!
(...my face looks so dull and bored mainly because I was so flustered about wanting to buy this, but it was $800 above my budget...I really was jumping up and down inside that I found this dress!)

So the sales lady kept saying, "You HAVE to get this dress. I saw the look on your face when you put it on, and I've been doing this for years--this is the one." But I wasn't looking at my facial expression, I was looking at the price tag...So I told her my dilemma. I told her we were only here on a whim because it was my last free flight on my mom's benefits with Delta, and also my birthday was coming up in a few days, and also that we were leavin' on a jet plane in a few hours.

She left the room and I had a couple minutes to talk to my sisters. She came back in and told me, "Okay, because its your birthday and because you're leaving today, I got you a special price. I will take it down $800." 

PERRRRFECT!!! So I thought, okay I potentially can buy this now! My parents were unreachable because they were headed on an airplane to France. I really wanted to talk to them first before I make this huge purchase... definitely the biggest purchase I've ever made up until then (soon to be one of the cheaper things out of my whole wedding haha). 

We called Aunt Denice to get her advise and asked what Meg and Melissa did. Sachi and Kumi helped me make a huge list of Pros and Cons. Sachi kept asking, "You ARE getting married, right??" Duh Sach...:) but I seriously needed all the moral support I could get. After sitting in my dream dress for about 10 minutes, we decided this was too good of an opportunity to pass up--She took it down a TON. And who the heck can say they flew out to NYC on a whim and came back with a big white POOFY wedding dress! And it will be such a fun memory to have with me. So taking that all into consideration, I thought, if I leave here without it, its gone forever and I will regret it. 

So I went outside, transfered some of my savings over into my checkings, and KA-CHING!
I signed the papers and had it shipped to good ol' SLC, Utah! (The sales person kept telling me I could take it as carry on...are you kidding--there was no way I was going to carry that POOF BALL on the plane with me...however, it would have made for a very nice pillow/blanket...)

It was such a bitter sweet moment. It was such a spontaneous, hilarious, and nerve racking experience. I wish my mom was there with me. Later when we boarded our flight I finally got a hold of my mom, we chatted for a bit. She asked how NY was. I said it was fun!...and that I had bought a really pretty dress as a souvenir. I kept describing it as poofy and flowy. She wasn't catching on. Then I hear my dad in the background, "She bought a wedding dress..." And she says, "...YOU BOUGHT A WEDDING DRESS?" I was kinda nervous so I hesitated a bit..."uhhh...mayyybee...hehe". And then my mom broke out laughing--and if you know my mom, when she thinks something is funny, she doesn't stop giggling for a while. So she laughed for a bit longer and then we chatted some more and I told her my whole experience. I'm glad I got to talk to her that same day so  it still felt like she was there. 
So that's it! That's the crazy story behind my Kleinfeld's experience.

I SAID YES TO THE DRESS!

2 comments:

  1. That is great! I just watched a couple episodes recently and I'm glad you got to actually say yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story!!!! Hahaha. Now, aren't you glad I'm a fan of the show? :)

    ReplyDelete